US soldier shown in Taliban video

Sunday, July 19, 2009


The Taliban have released a 28-minute video showing a US soldier captured in Afghanistan last month.
In the video, the soldier, in grey clothes and with shaved head, says being a prisoner is "unnerving" and that he misses his family.
He says the US public has the power to bring US troops home to be "back where we belong and not over here, wasting our time and our lives".
The US military in Kabul said the man in the video was the missing soldier.
The spokesman condemned the Taliban for issuing "propaganda" footage.
The Pentagon has yet to release the identity of the man.
However, in the video the captors hold up the soldier's identity tags.
'Against international law'
The soldier, who went missing on 30 June in Paktika province, eastern Afghanistan, says in the video the date is 14 July and that he was captured as he lagged behind while on a patrol.
Please bring us home. It is America and American people who have that power
Quote from video
Afghan rebels capture US soldier
Q&A: Isaf troops in Afghanistan
It is not possible to verify the time and date the video was made.
The soldier, interviewed in English, says he has "a very, very good family" in America.
"I miss them and I'm afraid that I might never see them again, and that I'll never be able to tell them that I love them again, and I'll never be able to hug them," he says.
When asked about his condition he replies: "Well I'm scared, scared I won't be able to go home. It is very unnerving to be a prisoner."
A voice off camera asks if he has a message for his "people".
"To my fellow Americans who have loved ones over here, who know what it's like to miss them, you have the power to make our government bring them home," says.

"Please, please bring us home so that we can be back where we belong and not over here, wasting our time and our lives and our precious life that we could be using back in our own country.
"Please bring us home. It is America and American people who have that power."
US military spokesman in Kabul, Capt Jon Stock, condemned the use of the video.
He told Reuters: "The use of the soldier for propaganda purposes we view as against international law.
"We are continuing to do whatever possible to recover the soldier safe and unharmed."
Leaflets have been distributed and a reward offered for his safe return.
The US military said the soldier disappeared after walking off base with three Afghan colleagues.
He is believed to be the first soldier seized in either Iraq or Afghanistan for at least two years.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Our Blogger Templates

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template Noblarum by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP